The Friends of Honeywood Museum
Registered Charity No. 1067131


Home

Find us

The Friends

Shop

History

Archaeology

Archive

Memories

Transport

Contact

Search

    Maps Cards Books            

Honeywood Museum's Friends Gift Shop

This page is dedicated to gifts and publications provided for sale in the Museum's Shop by The Friends of Honeywood Museum - 100% of the proceeds from our sales benefit the Museum.

We regret that we are unable to take orders for these items on-line - however, should you wish to reserve an item for collection from the Museum, please contact them on 020 8770 4297 - we equally regret we are currently unable to accept payment, either over the 'phone or at the shop, by debit / credit cards and payment is by way of cash only. We hope to be in a position to accept debit /credit cards in 2014.

NEW BOOK Their Name Liveth for Evermore

Carshalton’s First World War Memorial Roll of Honour
by Andrew Arnold - click HERE for details.

 

 

 

Honeywood Key Ring KEY1

£2.20

With a high-quality image of Honeywood Museum on both sides, this attractive and useful item makes a lovely memento of your visit or a delightful gift.




 

MAPS

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Carshalton (South) MAP1

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.16 Carshalton (South) 1895 - published 2002; introduction by John W Brown

This detailed map covers the southern part of Carshalton and Wallington. A small portion of Carshalton, around Carshalton Hill, is in the NW corner, and coverage continues eastward to Manor Road and Wallington station. Between them is Carshalton Park. At the foot of the map is the hamlet of Carshalton-on-the-Hill where the absence of gas and water brought Mr Sligg's development to an abrupt halt. Barrow Hedges is in the SW corner, Woodcote Hill in the SE. Directories for Carshalton Road, Manor Road and Pound Street are on the reverse. Crohamhurst. On the reverse are street entries for Brighton Road, Bynes Road, Croham Road, Crunden Road, Haling Road, Sanderstead Road, Selsdon Road.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 13.12 Carshalton to the north, 13.15 Sutton to the west, 14.13 South Beddington to the east.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Carshalton & North Wallington MAP2

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.12 Carshalton & North Wallington 1910 - published 2012; introduction by Richard Oliver contains an acknowledgement of The Friends of Honeywood and our own John Phillips

This detailed map covers the centre of Carshalton, with coverage stretching northward to Hackbridge and eastward to north Wallington.

Features include railway with Carshalton and Hackbridge stations, All Saints church, Holy Trinity church Wallington, Three Arch Bridge, Wallington Bridge, Wallington Corner, Manor House, River Wandle, Hackbridge Mills, Water Mills, Carshalton House, tramway and depot, The Wrythe, St Andrew's church, watercress beds etc. The reverse includes extracts from a 1903 directory of Carshalton.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 13.08 Beddington Corner to the north, 14.09 Beddington to the east, 13.16 Carshalton South to the south.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps -  Sutton MAP3

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.15 Sutton 1895 - published 1999; introduction by John W Brown

This detailed map covers the centre and southern area of Sutton, an area stretching from West Street southward along the High Street and then Brighton Road to Egmont Road and Sutton Farm. Coverage also extends westward to Lower Cheam, the Manor House and Cheam station. Features include Sutton station, St Nicholas parish church, Lower Cheam House (built in 1800 on the site of East Cheam Manor House), Sutton Public Hall. The boundary between Cheam and Sutton runs north-south down the map, and east of this numerous streets reflect Sutton's growth. Street directories for Carshalton Road, Cavendish Road, Cedar Road, Cheam Road, Grange Road, Grove Road and High Street are on the reverse.

 The map links up with Surrey Sheet  13.16 Carshalton South to the east.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Beddington & Waddon MAP4

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 14.09 Beddington & Waddon 1911 - published 1998; introduction by John W Brown

This detailed map covers the area west of Croydon which includes Beddington village and Waddon, with coverage stretching from Beddington Park eastward to Vicarage Road, Waddon. Features include St Mary's church, Beddington House, cemetery, Royal Female Orphan Asylum, River Wandle, Waddon Mills with Waddon Marsh New Siding, Wandle Mills, Croydon Sewage Works, part of Wandle Park, Waddon Lodge, Paragon Works, Waddon Court (whose 18th century occupant, John Parker, rode around the village each morning accompanied by a monkey dressed in fine clothes), Croydon Gas Works. There are street directories for Beddington Lane, Bute Road, Church Lane, Croydon Road, Demesne Road, Guy Road, Wandle Road; plus a railway timetable for the Croydon-Wimbledon line in 1908.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 13.12 Carshalton to the west.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Beddington MAP5

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.08 Beddington Corner 1894 - published 1998; introduction by John W Brown

"The River Wandle runs north to south through the centre of this map and most of the development of the area has taken place along its banks. The river provided the energy to turn the water wheels which powered the various mills and works which were established along the Wandle, many of which date from the 18th century." So begins John Brown's introduction to the map. The works include Eagle Leather Works, Wandle Tannery, Mitcham Leather Works, and there are also various watercress beds. The community of Beddington Corner is shown in a state of construction with roads such as Wolseley Road,Wood Street and New Road partly built. The London Road runs north-south and almost parallel is the railway; Mitcham Junction station is at the top of the map. The map extends west to Greenwrythe Lane, and Ravensbury Park is in the NW corner. Tramway Terrace is a reminder of the earlier Surrey Iron Railway.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 13.12 Carshalton to the south.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps – South Beddington – MAP6

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 14.13 South Beddington 1911 - published 1998; introduction by John W Brown

South Beddington, which is on the west side of this map, was developed in the late 19th century on land formerly known as Windmill Hill or Windmill Fields. It is shown here with development well advanced, west of Sandy Lane. Stafford Road crosses the map, as does a section of the Croydon-Epsom line, including Bandon Halt, at Bandonhill. Plough Lane runs north-south through the centre of the map, and further east is Coldharbour Lane. On the reverse are street entries for Blenheim Gardens, Elgin Road, Francis Road, Hillside Gardens, Marchmont Road, Stafford Road, St Michael's Road.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 14.09 Beddington & Waddon to the north, 13.16 South Carshalton to the west.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Croydon (Mitcham Road) MAP7

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 14.05 Croydon (Mitcham Road) 1911 - published 1998; introduction by John W Brown

This map covers the NW area of Croydon around the Mitcham Road which runs NW-SE across the map. East of this is suburban development to the London Road, including Canterbury Road, Sutherland Road, Thornton Road and adjacent streets, together with Mitcham Road Cemetery. To the west is a more rural scene, with the Croydon-Wimbledon railway, including Beddington Lane station; Croydon fever hospital; a dog sanatorium; and Beddington Lane. Beddington Sewage Farm is at the west of the map. Other features include a tram depot and a peppermint & lavender distillery.

The map links up with Surrey Sheets 13.08 Beddington Corner to the west, 14.06 West Croydon to the east and 14.09 Beddington & Waddon to the south.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Mitcham MAP8

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.04 Mitcham 1910 - published 2012; introduction by Richard Oliver

This detailed map covers Lower Mitcham and the southern half of Upper Mitcham. Coverage stretches from the Upper Green and Eastfields southward to Mitcham Junction station (which straddles the southern margin).

Features include railways with Mitcham station, St Mark's church, Upper Green, Mitcham House, tramways, Mitcham Hall, Imperial Works, River Wandle, Crown Mill, Wandle Grove, watercress beds, St Peter & St Paul's church, Cricket Green, Blue Houses etc. On the reverse includes a list of private residents from a 1903 directory.

The map links up with Surrey sheet 13.03 Morden to the west and 13.08 Beddington Corner to the south.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Morden MAP9

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.03 Morden 1894 - published 2008; introduction by Pamela Taylor

Morden is today perhaps best known for being the terminus of the Northern Line. This map captures it when it was still a straggling village. Coverage stretches from Mordenhall Farm southward to Morden Park, and other features include Morden Hall, deer park, Morden House, Ravensbury Mills, Ravensbury Farm and a scattering of villas among the fields. The reverse includes directories of Morden for 1903 and 1934.

The map links up with Surrey sheet 13.04 Mitcham to the east.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Cheam, Ewell East & Nonsuch Park MAP10

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.14 Cheam, Ewell (E) & Nonsuch Park 1910 - published 2012; introduction by Richard Oliver

This detailed map covers the western part of Cheam and extends west to Ewell. Nonsuch Park is central to the map.

Feratures include Nonsuch Park, St Dunstan's church Cheam, Cheam House, Cheam Park, Harefield House, stretch of railway but no stations, site of Nonsuch Palace, St Mary's church Ewell, Nonsuch Pottery, Spring Hotel, portion of Ewell High St (in bottom left corner), Warren Farm. The reverse includes a 1903 directory of Cheam.

The map links up with Surrey Sheets 13.15 Sutton to the east.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Sutton North & Benhilton MAP11

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.11 Sutton (North) 1910 - published 2012; introduction by Richard Oliver

This detailed map covers the north of Sutton, including Benhilton, with coverage from Clensham Lane to Manor Lane and eastward to Benhill Road.

Features include St Barnabas church, Newtown area, tramway, Benfleet Hall, Benhilton area, The Green, All Saints church, Hallmead Farm, fireworks manufactory, Gandergreen Lane etc.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 13.12 Carshalton to the east, 13.15 Sutton to the south.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps – Ewell (West) 1910  MAP12

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 13.13 Ewell (West) 1910 - published 2012; introduction by Richard Oliver

This detailed map covers the western part of Ewell.

Features include Garbrand Hall (later Bourne Hall), Upper Mill, Lower Mill, stretch of LSWR railway with Ewell station at foot of map, West Ewell, All Saints church, Ewell Court, 'Epileptic Colony' (London County Asylums), Hogsmill River, Poplar Farm etc. A 1903 directory of Ewell is included on the reverse.

The map links up with Surrey Sheets 13.14 Cheam to the east.

Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Central Croydon 1895 MAP13

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 14.10 Central Croydon 1895 - published 1993; introduction by Oliver Harris.

This is the main map for Croydon and covers the centre of the town, coverage stretching from Wandle Park eastward to Radcliffe Road, and from Derby Road and Oval Road southward to Combe Road. Features include Croydon East station, Town Hall, Coombe Lane station, High Street, Old Town, Duppas House, The Waldrons, Duppas Hill (SW corner), Parkhill House, North End. On the reverse are street directories for Church Road, Church Street, George Street.

Honeywood note: This map covers Oval Road and part of the area damaged in the Zeppelin bombing raid of October 1915.

The map links up with Surrey Sheet 14.09 to the west.

NEW Alan Godfrey’s Old Ordnance Survey Maps – West Croydon 1911 MAP14

£2.50

Surrey Sheet 14.06 West Croydon & Selhurst 1911 - published 1998; intro by Oliver Harris.

This map covers north Croydon and the area known, perhaps confusingly, as West Croydon, taking its name from the railway station. It covers an area stretching from Handcroft Road and Sumner Road eastward to Dartnell Road and Jesmond Road; and from West Croydon station northward to Selhurst station and Edith Road. Features on this busy map include numerous railway junctions (Norwood Fork Junction, Selhurst Junction, Windmill Bridge Junction, Gloucester Road Junction); Croydon Common Athletic Ground, home to Croydon Common FC and, for a while, Crystal Palace; Croydon Workhouse, Queens Road Cemetery, General Hospital, Croydon Union Infirmary; Addiscombe Road station. On the reverse are street directories for St James's Road, Sydenham Road, Whitehorse Road, Whitehorse Lane. The map links up with 14:10 (MAP13) to the south and completes the area covered by the Zeppelin bombing raid of October 1915

Return to top of page

BOOKS

NEW Their Name Liveth for Evermore - Carshalton’s First World War Roll of Honour
By Andrew Arnold £14.99 BK15


A product of
over six years of research, Andrew’s fascinating and moving book brings together the stories of the lives and deaths of the men of Carshalton, whose names are recorded on the War Memorial by the ponds near the Honeywood Museum. Utilising a wide variety of sources and complemented by many previously unseen photographs, Andrew tells the men’s stories. These include the fourteen sets of brothers who were killed, to the devastating effect of the Somme campaign in which 19 local men lost their lives on the opening day alone.

 

 


 

 

NEW Community of Contrast - Carshalton 1815-1845
Cheryl Bailey £5.99 BK14

In this fascinating book, Cheryl compares the contrasting lifestyles of working villagers at the end of the Napoleonic war with those of the wealthy and privileged who enjoyed the benifit of living in a pretty village, close to London.

Carshalton gained a reputation for generosity that made life for some a little easier than elsewhere.

Cheryl has also published Living in Carshalton, 1865-1880  (See BK10 immediately below) and articles on working life for genealogical magazines.






 

Living in Carshalton 1865-1880
by Cheryl Bailey £5.99 BK10

Dip into Cheryl’s book and be transported back in time to Carshalton village in the latter half of the 19th century. Village life is described with interest grabbing style and amongst a multitude of gems, chuckle at the antics of some of our predecessor’s miscreant children.

Cheryl Baker M.A. studied Metropolitan and Regional History at the Institute of Historical Research (London) and writes about 19th century working life for genealogical magazines. She has lived in Carshalton since 1974.






 

Honeywood: a short history
John Phillips £3.00 BK13

28pp 148mm x 210mm (5¾ X 8¼ inches)

The long awaited history of Honeywood, telling the story of the house and the land it stands on from the seventeenth century. John's carefully researched and highly readable text is complimented by many fine illustrations and plans, most of which are in colour.


 

 

 

 

The History of The Oaks
Volume One - The Stanley Years

236pp - over 70 illustrations, many of which are in colour – size approx 7½” (187mm) x 9½” (245mm)
Release date 17th October 2013 £19.95 BK12

The Oaks was described in a 2002 publication as ‘one of the worst-documented well-known houses in the country. There are hardly any surviving deeds, and the accounts of its history are completely confused and contradictory’.

Paul Williams has spent six years meticulously researching the history of The Oaks, from its very inception in the first half of the 1750s until its demise in the post world war two years of the twentieth century. His discoveries resulted in a very extensive reappraisal and correction of previous accounts.

The first part of Paul’s engrossing work covers the construction of the original Palladian villa with its stable blocks (part of which still survives), the earliest occupier and the confusion with an established nearby inn. This early phase was quickly followed by an association with the House of Stanley that lasted almost 80 years. We follow the lives of those who occupied The Oaks and the evolution of what had become one of the most famous hunting seats in the country.  The first of Paul’s two volumes closes when the 12th Earl of Derby finally leaves The Oaks a few months before his death in 1834.

The foreword to Volume One is by the 19th Earl of Derby DL who has graciously described this Honeywood book as a ‘wonderful volume’ and ‘hopes that you enjoy reading it as much as I have’.

The Unreturning Spring
by James Farrar
Edited by Henry Williamson With a new introduction by John Monks £9.00 BK6

Available to download on-line (£5), or in traditional, perfect bound paperback format, 234 pages 6.1" x 9.2" (£9.95) - copies available from the Museum at £9 each.

Click HERE to buy the paperback or download an on-line copy to read and view on your computer: alternatively purchase direct from Honeywood

The collected poems, stories and descriptive writings by the young Carshalton airman James Farrar, killed in the Second World War, were re-published on 5th October 2008.

The Unreturning Spring contains remarkable descriptions of the countryside around Carshalton in the 1940s and descriptions of Farrar’s life in the RAF. It was hailed as genius when first published but has long been out of print until now.

Old Carshalton
by John Phillips
An 80 page pictorial history of Old Carshalton £8.00
BK5

One of our most popular books. John gives a good introduction to old Carshalton and his book contains a wealth of fine captioned photographs, carefully chosen from the Local Studies Collection in the Central Library at Sutton

 

 

 


 

"From the Heart" - The poetry of Valerie Coleman
Compiled, edited and illustrated by Paul V. Williams £5.99 BK4

A new illustrated book by Paul Williams, 'From the Heart', the poetry of Valerie Coleman. This 48 page paperback book is illustrated throughout, and is another exclusive Honeywood production. There is a companion CD that contains all the poems in the book, read by Joan Davalle

The CD and book may be purchased together for the special price of £8.00

 

 

 


 

Reflections on Carshalton
by Derek Bradford
A Honeywood Exclusive Book
Available to download on-line (£5), or in traditional, perfect bound paperback format, 68 pages 7.44" x 9.68" (£12.95 BK3)

A collection of historic poems and paintings relating to Carshalton, Surrey

Click HERE to buy the paperback or download an on-line copy to read and view on your computer: alternatively purchase direct from Honeywood Museum's shop

The book consists of a collection of poems about Carshalton dating from the 18th century to the 1930s assembled by Carshalton historian Derek Bradford. There are 38 illustrations mostly colour reproductions of historic paintings of Carshalton many of which have not been reproduced before. The poems throw interesting light on Carshalton history – and include an 18th century account of Carshalton fair which was then significant enough to attract a posse of London prostitutes. There is also a verse description of the 19th century village and much more. The paintings include works by Joseph Powell, William Tatton Winter and Winifred Madder which give fine view of the quaint old village which existed before suburbanization.

The Long and the Short of General John Burgoyne's Maid of the Oaks
by Paul V. Williams
A Honeywood Exclusive Book - Hardback £17.60  BK2 or Paperback £11.85 BK1

Paul Williams was born in Carshalton in 1946. His interest in local history stems from a keen interest in, and recollection of, The Oaks and its mansion, Carshalton’s trolleybuses, steam trains, Croydon airport and the abundant springs in local parks.

Following a local primary education at Stanley Park Infants and Juniors, Paul went on to attend Wimbledon's Pelham High and Wimbledon Tech. where he excelled in English Literature and History. He went on to enjoy a very successful career in the electricity and gas supply industries. After 25 years in senior customer relations and government liaison, Paul retired to spend more time on his interests, and with his wife Shirley, and their now extended family of two sons, one daughter-in-law and a granddaughter. Having discovered Honeywood, Paul joined the Friends of Honeywood, and has become a valued and active member over recent years.

A keen amateur historian and Belgophile, Paul’s hobbies include travel and photography.

“The Long and the Short of General John Burgoyne's Maid of the Oaks is a new book about general Burgoyne's first published play, from the unique, exciting events that inspired it in 1774 and its connection with the loss of the British colony of America a few years later. Paul Williams' book not only introduces us to the main characters involved in creating the play but the artists, musicians and others in the hectic, sometimes dangerous world of Georgian theatre and society. Paul's illustrated book is sold with all proceeds benefiting the Friends of Honeywood Museum. The book contains the full text of the original play, a Victorian 'Penny-Play' version and a twenty-first century adaptation by Peter Davalle (premiered at Honeywood Museum). Apart from Paul's own colourful descriptions of events, the reader has access to contemporary biographies and a satire, unavailable in print for well over two centuries. John Phillips wrote the Prologue and Peter Davalle the Preface.”

The RIVER WANDLE companion and Wandle Trail Guide
by Bob Steel with Derek Coleman £15.00 BK9

Very well illustrated with some 40 maps and nearly 200 fine photos (mostly in colour) throughout, this delightful book takes you from the Wandle’s source to its estuary. Not only is it a companion to anyone walking the Wandle Trail  it gives copious details of the river’s history and wildlife along its banks. It will appeal to all interested in discovering this fascinating route to the Thames and to armchair readers alike:  A perfect book to buy as a gift and to own.

 

 

 



 

Practical Guide To Photography (1884)
Marion And Company £14.99 BK7

Marion and Company were the largest photographic suppliers to the trade and amateur photographers in the late 19th century. They had large premises in Soho and a factory in Southgate. They produced Carte de Visite (calling cards with a portrait on the face side) by the million. The senior partner was John Pattison Kirk, a former owner of Honeywood. A splendid version of a Marion camera is on display in the museum

This high quality facsimile publication contains an insight to the development of photography and contains many interesting advertisements for equipment of the period.

 

 


 

 

Times Remembered Times Past – A History of Beddington and Bandon
by  Beverley Shew £15.99 BK8

A very well written and illustrated history of the Beddington and Bandon area. It is a comprehensive yet not heavy to read detailed look at the past and near present story of these local communities. It will appeal to all those interested in local history, not just those who live, or lived, in the locality. Both Beverley and the Carshalton & District & Archaeology Society are to be congratulated on producing such a readable book.

 

 

 

 

Return to top of page

GREETINGS & COMMEMORATIVE CARDS

Allied soldiers throwing hand grenades
WW1-01 A5 £2.20
Beckoning
WW1-02 A5 £2.20
Better than the VC
WW1-03 A5 £2.20
     
Britain needs you at once
WW1-04 A5 £2.20
Captured British tank used by the Germans and destroyed by the French WW1-05 A5 £2.20 Easter Invasion
WW1-06 A5 £2.20
     
Help the National Egg Collection
WW1-07 A5 £2.20
Interior of French St. Chamond tank
WW1-08 A5 £2.20
Trenches at Dixmuide
WW1-09 A5 £2.20
     
   
  Women of Britain say GO!
WW1-10 A5 £2.20
 

 

Butter Hill Water Mills J. Fitz Marshall c1890
      A501 £2.20
Carshalton Ponds early 19th century engraving Ellis
A513 £2.20
View of All Saints and Ponds William Tatton Winter 
A507 £2.20
     
Honeywood Museum Colour photo.
A508 £2.20
Greyhound Hotel Painting Winifred Madder c1918
A509 £2.20
Oaks Mansion 1848 Watercolour unknown artist
A514 £2.20
     
Oaks Mansion hand coloured print c1790
A510 £2.20
Oaks Mansion engraving Gyfford & Sparrow
A511 £2.20
St. Peter’s Woodmansterne W Porden c1790
A512 £2.20
     
   
  Raid on Croydon Airport 1940 Frank Sturges
A515 £2.20
 
     
Skaters in Carshalton William Tatton Winter
A518 £2.20
Watercress Seller William Tatton Winter
A519 £2.20
Beddington Park Winter Scene Unknown artist
A520 £2.20

THE CARSHALTON HIGH STREET SERIES

   
     
High St in the Regency period
watercolour-artist unknown
A502 £2.20
High Street 1905 tinted photograph
A503 £2.20
High Street 1928 from period photograph
A504 £2.20
     
High Street with figures William Tatton Winter
A505 £2.20
High Street (detail) William Tatton Winter
A506 £2.20
Bomb incident in High Street 1940 Frank Dickinson
A516 £2.20
     
   
  Carshalton High Street 1914
A517 £2.20
 


Return to top of page

POST CARDS
 
 
Honeywood Museum PCRD1 £0.50 The Oaks Mansion PCRD2 £0.50

 

PANORAMIC CARDS WITH ENVELOPE
 
 
The Leoni Bridge Carshalton Ponds PAN01 £1.50 The Oaks Mansion photo PAN02 £1.50

Return to top of page

Unless otherwise stated, all images and text on this page are Copyright © The Friends of Honeywood Museum 2014

Return to top of page